Girgarre East No 1732
Known as Girgarre East No. 2 during the existence of SS1458 Girgarre East (later Harston), some 3 miles to the South-East of SS1732, this school opened on 5th of June 1870 in a leased bark hut 20ftx15ft with R.J. Mahaffy as Head Teacher, and an enrolment of 15. The bark hut was in danger of complete collapse. After considerable agitation, a 1-acre site was purchased from W. Down in 1880 and a small portable with quarters erected. In 1897, the first school building of SS2612 Moora East then closed, was shifted to Girgarre East and remained in use until 1962, providing accommodation for an enrolment which fluctuated between 7 in 1939 and 40 plus on several occasions. A new single classroom was completed in 1962; by 1965 increased enrolment led to the appointment of a second teacher and the erection of another classroom, occupied in 1967. E. Keogh was first President of the Committee in 1911; before the closer settlement of the area funds were raised by hare shoots, as well as by picnic dances, social evenings and concerts. Two acres of land were donated in February 1969 by R.E. Lee to extend playing areas.