Harston Primary School No 1458
(formerly Girgarre East)
In September 1874 the 25ftx18ft wooden Wesleyan Chapel, erected on the South West corner of G.P. Baines’ selection was leased by the Department for￡6 p.a. The first HT, T. O’Shannassy, opened the school in early October 1874. He travelled by coach from Seymour to Rushworth, thence by horse and cart, for a total cost of 15s. The school’s average attendance for the first two months was 18; it increased to 23 in 1875. A site of 2 acres at the North West comer of Peter McCormick’s selection in Toolamba West was acquired in 1875. By 1879 the Net Enrolment had reached 52. In 1880, a new wooden 24ftxl6ft schoolroom, with quarters of three rooms attached, was erected by the contractor Alkemaide for￡375 4s, and first occupied on 1st of November 1880. Rent was￡9 p.a. In 1885 the school name changed to Harston, the name of the local post office, but locals often called it Spring Vale. A fourth room was added to the quarters in 1889 for￡54 15s, rent then being increased by￡3. The Net Enrolment in 1893 was 22. A veranda was added to the school in 1897. The Correspondent of the first Committee was A.H. Campbell. The Net Enrolment in 1912 stood at 49. In 1913 the Department decided to spend￡535 in building a new school to hold 50, and to repair and make additions to the residence. A new school building 26ftx24ft was erected in 1914 at a cost of￡509 13s 4d. In 1961 the floor of the old building was raised and reblocked and a new classroom added. A new residence was erected in 1968.