Karpool No 2428
Also known as Tallygaroopna Railway Station and Congupna West
H.E. Pottenger requested a school in July 1879. He claimed ‘the children are growing up dunces’. The school, first known as Congupna West, opened on 9th of November 1881 with Clara Sarjeant Head Teacher until December 1882. The Shepparton-Tocumwal railway cut through the schoolgrounds in 1881, but the railway brought more settlers who increased the enrolment to 55 in 1884 and 65 in 1885. The land around Tallygaroopna Railway Station was low-lying, and the grounds often flooded. A new site of 2 acres, 11 miles to the North-East, was purchased in 1889 and a new portable erected on the site, the old school being moved to Tallygaroopna. Enrolment declined at the new Karpool site and the school closed in December 1903. The building was removed to SS1438 Rothesay.