Katandra No 1965
A private school conducted ‘in a spacious cottage’ by Miss Inglis preceded the establishment of a State School. It was not in a central position, and David Webster in January 1876 and R.E. Prideaux in February 1877 expressed the needs of the land selectors for a school. A 2-acre site in the surveyed township of Marungi (Katandra) was gazetted in August 1877, a portable erected by Bain and Co. of Benalla for ￡191, and SS1965 opened on 7th of November 1877 with Florence Wilson as Head Teacher. D. McLean became Head Teacher in 1880, soon married, and remained at the school until 1908. The building had been set on the ground by the contractor, was attacked by rot, and had to be raised, weatherboarded externally and lined internally, and a new floor was eventually needed in 1892. Peak enrolment in 1883 reached 53: by the time McLean left it had fallen to 26, and, as the area moved to larger-scale farming, declined still further to 11 in 1921. The building was now unsafe. Proposals to move SS2192 Katandra North, then Drumanure to Katandra fell through when these closed schools reopened. Eventually, the building of SS3200 Mywee was removed and re-erected on the site, the school reopening on 14th of April 1924. Minor improvements, including a shelter shed, renewal of flooring (1929), painting, the supply of electricity (1959), septic sewerage (1963), have been made in the recent period, and the school continues to serve the farming district. An ex-student, Hubert Jenkins, won a Military Medal and bar during the first World War.