Kialla Central Primary School No 1366
This school, opened on 9th of September 1874 as a single classroom with quarters, stood in River Rd in the Parish of Kialla. First HT was Alfred Bowden. In 1902, this building was shifted by steam traction engine to Mitchell Rd where 2¼ acres had been purchased at￡1 per acre - The school closed in 1914, reopening in 1923 to serve the new settlers. In 1960, 5 acres at￡100 per acre were purchased at the present site, the old building being sold as a residence, and two classrooms were occupied in that year, whilst in 1968 an extra classroom and office were erected to meet current needs. The first white child born in Kialla was Mary Laws, the daughter of an original selector; two great-granddaughters still attend the school. Head Teachers with long service include Gent (1883-1901) and F. Harrington (1944-A9).