Shepparton High School
The school began as an Agricultural High (School) in 1909, with an enrolment of 33 students and a staff of seven under HM (Headmaster) A E Watson. The completed building in Fryers St cost ₤4,000 – mainly rooms for general subjects, because the original school did not provide for commercial or technical courses. The farm, which comprised 56 acres, was situated 2 miles out on Old Dookie Road, and was sold in 1939. Farm managers were Messrs Ramsay and Gilchrist, active local farmers being Ross and Orr.
Enrolments increased steadily to 209 in 1918, necessitating extensions which were built in 1919 at a cost of ₤2,000. These brick buildings consisted of a science room, sheet metal centre, storeroom, cloakroom and a general classroom.
During the 1920s enrolments continued to climb and as no space remained at Fryers St a junior school was commenced at Verney Road (now Hawdon Street), the site of the present High School. Alterations and additions were made to this junior school in 1937 and this still serves as the main section of the school.
By 1944 the school was again overcrowded so rooms at Fryers Street were renovated allowing all first-year pupils to be accommodated there.
In 1946 a comprehensive history of the school from 1909-1946 was published by H G Martindale – ‘the Story of the Shepparton High School.’
The opening of the Technical School in 1953 relieved the pressure particularly in boys’ numbers and the establishment of the Girls High School in 1959 restored a manageable balance. Eight temporary classrooms and a cafeteria added over this period further improved the school together with vast development of the grounds as sporting fields.
In 1962 a new wing at Hawdon Street was opened to provide facilities for the teaching of cooking and needlecraft at the main school site. This move enabled the Shepparton High to function as a corporate body at one site for the first time in 32 years. During that time the school had been separated by 1 ½ miles and pupils had to commute between the two sections.
In 1966 a further wing was added to the main brick building to house a library, art rooms and woodwork centre. In 1968 the Advisory Council resolved to work towards the construction of an assembly hall.
Headmasters of the school to 1972 have been: A E Watson (1909-1913); W H Callister (1913-1924);
T F Scott (1925-1926); A L Rossiter (1926-1930); W C Fordyce (1931-1934); H H Revell (1935-1936); J O’Connor (1937-1949); R E Chapman (1949-1951); E N Downe (1952-1956); C McQuillan (1957-1967); K P Costello (1967 onwards).
The Story of Shepparton High School by HG Martindale 1946
Click the link below to download the book.
The Shepparton High School magazine began in 1914 and was called the Goulburnia.
The first edition is available as a digital download below.
Further digital copies are available from the Shepparton Heritage Centre for a small fee. Email here.
The Foreword by Inspector Gray M.A.
"What an important date in the history of our school. Our magazine at length sees the light of day - GOULBURNIA NASCITUR (Latin: born).
Our school has been for some years established; our Headmasters have labored incessantly and planned wisely; our teachers have taught soundly and with unsparing energy; our pupils have studied industriously and behaved excellently, our successes both in work and play, have been numerous and gratifying; but without a school magazine we could hardly be said to be on a par with the best secondary schools in the State..."
Click this link below to download a digital copy.